Sunday, March 23, 2014

Crosstraining!

Obviously a very popular topic in today's running scene.  I am a proponent to crosstraining but usually I use it only after my running goals are met for the week and I have free time.  A strong core and flexibility can go a long way to prevent injury.  I'm lucky to have the Army that provides me with a great deal of body weight crosstraining.  Still I find myself in "the box" (gym) every once in a while.  My wife is a "crossfitter" so I generally base most of my workouts on stuff she tells me about and my running background makes me a less than comfortable fellow in the gym.  I have a short attention span so its gotta be high intensity for me.

Today I went after a 17.5 miler to get in some core work and demonstrate some exercises in a typical gym session.  I did a lot more picture taking than working out.  I started by rowing 2k in 10 min just to warm up the muscles.  I love rowing, it capitalizes on my cardio vascular system but strengthens the core and upper body.  When injured I've been known to row for up to 60 min.

After warmed up I moved in to some ab work which consisted of weighted sit ups, pull ups, leg throws, planks and leg tucks.

Now to my favorite some simple stability and leg work.

First boshu ball squats



Then some weighted step ups


Boshu ball lunges

And some boshu ball pistols

No comments:

Post a Comment