Friday, April 11, 2014

Pre race

I am a terrible race planner.  You know the guy that signs up for a race 2 weeks before it, buys nutrition the day before and quickly throws pre-race packing into the race eve jumble.  With that being said I signed up for the Lake McMurty 50k 2 weeks ago as a good distance race in prep for Badwater and also to get some confidence going my direction.  I had contemplated the Oklahoma City Marathon but I don't know if I trust myself in a road marathon.

So this week I attempted to taper.  I don't know if you want to taper if you're throwing races in just as training because it stinks to take the focus off speed and hills.  That being said for my taper I ran 8 miles on Monday in just over a hour, 6.5 miles on Wednesday and 3 miles Thursday and Friday.  My legs do feel well rested and ready for a race just an awkward distance to race.

I've never run a 50k before so picking a pace is difficult.  Not that I typically pick a pace but rather just a loose finishing goal time.  This race I'd really like to win just to put a win on the calender this year.  I haven't race since February 1st which wasn't exactly my best race ever.  There are plenty of talented runners up in the Tulsa area and the course record was set by a 2:28 marathoner at 3:48.  The course record is a little out of reach without injury.

So I'll wander around the house this evening trying to scrounge enough Gu's to water bottles to get me through 50k.  After that I'll eat a chicken soft taco and a refried bean taco and try to get some sleep around 9 for a 4am trip up to Stillwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment