Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Back in action

This week is off to an awesome start. I have managed to knock out 23 miles with my legs well under me and nutrition going well. I'm still being patient this week since I know there is probably still some muscle recovery going on.

Monday I headed out to the trail to an old favorite the Mount Scott hiking and biking trail which I haven't been on since training with the Army 10 miler team last August. They regraded the trail to make it more friendly to pedestrians so it turned into a 10k trail superhighway. Thus I dismissed the trail as to easy and not technical enough. I forgot the beauty of the trail despite the easy footing. I was able to accelerate under an 8 min/mile on the rolling hills pretty easily but back off to a 8:30 when I wasn't spacing out. I ran 7.5 miles in a 59:47 and it did feel great.

That evening our local run club met up for a Boston remembrance run (2013). Most of our run club is in full taper for the Oklahoma City Marathon this weekend. It was a very pleasant 4 miles through the developing 2nd street area of Lawton. Afterwards managed to schedule a weekend run club BBQ for May 3rd which is always a great time!

I didn't sleep a lot between Sunday night and Monday night about 6 hours Sunday night and 5.5 hours Monday night due to early morning for the Army Physical Fitness Test. I kept this in mind in my expectation and plan to head to sleep as soon as I finish this blog!

This morning I had my PT test at 5:30 so I had planned on the 2 mile run not going well. But I was pleasantly surprised with a 10:48 not bad considering I'm only 9 days off a 50k. I actually ran the 2 mile dead even splits which I was really pleased with. Both Suki and I managed 300 of 300 points on the test. It was 85 degrees this afternoon so I had to capitalize on the heat and headed out for a 7 miler in 54 minutes a 7:40-7:50 felt super comfortable. I also participated in a friends final project for his health performance course. They asked to do a skin pinch test, sit and reach and a treadmill test. I believe it was the Bruce protocol which had me set the treadmill at 3.5 mph and upped the incline from 0% to 15% over 18 minutes checking my heartrate every 3 minutes. I never for over 126 bpm unfortunately. Still put in 2 miles there with a warm up. Still interesting as they will be attempting to predict my VO2 max based on their data. 

No comments:

Post a Comment