Sunday, April 6, 2014

Control Alt Delete/Umstead

Sometimes you hit a wall in training and your body stops telling you things and starts screaming them at you.  That is how this week went.  Last week I wasn't getting quality workouts and was complaining that my 90 mile week was miserable but I was determined to push through it this week and get a stubborn 60-70 miles 2 weeks out from Lake McCurty.  Obviously that did not work.  I ran 25 miles this week and I'm proud of myself.

Tuesday I hit Mount Scott and ran well but Wednesday morning I woke up sore all over.  I didn't have a strong desire to run (which means I'm well overtrained).  So I did what ever block headed young runner does... ran 10 easy miles.  Wednesday night I spent the night on the foam roller determined I could roll out my soreness.  FAIL!  This weekend Suki and I had a field problem and I was supposed to be working Thursday and Friday with only a chance to run early Thursday morning and Suki was supposed to be out for the entire weekend.   My thoughts were to run 10 miles easy Thursday take Friday off and run a hard 20 on Saturday and 15 miles on Sunday.

Thursday I woke up at 5:30 for my run sore all over.  I decided to pull the plug entirely and took the rest of the week off.  Today (Sunday night) I feel much better.  I was able to pick up a new sofa for our living room, and meet some friends for the Badger game Saturday night.  There is so much time for extracurricular activities when you don't spend 2-3 hours a day running.  So today Suki came home and it was so nice to see her again.  Even though we saw each other during the weekend we're both working in different positions and we might as well be 1,000 miles apart.  She was pretty wooped when she made it home, had to take a nap with her boys!

This upcoming week I plan to run easy Monday, Wednesday, Friday and race 50k on Saturday.  The course seems pretty easy at Lake Mcmurty so I'm nervous about pushing to hard.  The plan is to go out at a 7:30 pace and just hold on as long as I can.

In more exciting news there was a huge race this weekend!  Umstead 100 was yesterday and I was suddenly very interested in the female race.  Liza Howard  ran in her debut 100 post baby.  She ran a 15:07 for a solid 2nd overall and a CR/PR!  She is a true inspiration to me, I was sad when I filled out my Badwater application and I couldn't list her as my favorite Badwater finisher after she couldn't race last year (due to pregnancy).  And Leigh Anne ran her debut 100 in a blazing 19:38 for 4th female overall.  Go figure she wasn't pleased with her time!  So excited to hear her race report after her boyfriend (Will) pampers her for the day.  I can't wait to see what she will do after she corrects a few nutrition issues.  She's gonna make a pretty big splash if she continues down the this road.

Lesson for the week... your body will talk to you just don't be a bonehead like me and keep running.

No comments:

Post a Comment