Sunday, July 6, 2014

New PR's

The taper is finally here. It's time to pull off the mileage blanket and see what lies underneath... This week I ran 58 miles and set 2 new PR's. I wanted to pull my mileage back this week and start a slow taper into Badwater. I had 70 miles in my head but just wanted to feel comfortable and recover well for each run. This week 58 miles is what that amounted to. It's crazy cause it seems like such a low mileage week to me but it's right where the 10 mile team is running and they are approaching peak 1.

The most important thing I can do at this point in time is to toe the starting line in Lone Pine healthy. So mileage isn't very important, I have ballparks, 40 miles next week and 25 miles the week before the race. It's hard to believe that Badwater is two weeks from tomorrow. I've been training/dreaming about this day since February and I still 5 months later get butterflies in my stomach every time I start thinking about the starting line.

This week I also set 2 new PR's. 1 for the 5k which I hit in 17:33 and ran a really strong race good enough for 5th overall at a pretty competitive race. The other PR was for the beer mile which I ran 7:31 (I need to get better at drinking...). Charlie and I both ran the 5k he ran 17:18 good enough for 4th. We ran a little fast for the first mile 5:25 but settled in after that for a good strong race. Again I thought i  had Charlie beat at 2 miles I caught him loosing focus and passed him. At 2.5 miles his kick was to much for me and he put 15 seconds on my in the closing half mile. But again I'm getting closer...Charlie was fairly impressed/excited about my fitness level from last year.

Monday
AM 8.1 miles 7:46 min/mile
PM 4 miles 8:11 min/mile
Tuesday
7 miles 7:36 min/mile
Wednesday
9 miles 7:25 min/mile
Thursday
7.1 miles 7:55 min/mile
Friday
2 mile warm up
5k 17:33
2 mile cool down
7.1 miles total
Saturday
OFF
Sunday
15.3 miles 8:10 min/mile

No comments:

Post a Comment